As an Esthetician for 15 years I’ve seen every mistake people make with their skin, but also seen what habits really keep skin glowing and healthy regardless of the season,” says Susannah.
- Use SPF for goodness sake. ‘But I’m just running errands today, I’m not laying at the beach so I don’t need SPF.’ WRONG. It’s the little bits of sun exposure every day -not just a week at the beach- that adds up over the years and cumulate in lines, wrinkles, and very distasteful looking brown spots. Using products with an SPF is an important habit to stick with and is easy when you discover a sunscreen you love. Elta MD has mineral based sunscreen that works great on sensitive skin, but doesn’t leave a white cast you often struggle with when using a mineral formula. Layer this over your favorite moisturizer (don’t forget your neck) or choose to double up the protection with makeup containing SPF (like a mineral powder foundation.)
- Exfoliate regularly. Use an AHA’s like glycolic acid or lactic acid if you have dry or combination skin and BHA like salicylic acid of you are breakout prone or deal with more blackheads than you’d like. Retinol is also an Esthetician’s first love for its ability to resurface and smooth skin texture for many skin types.
- Get your vitamins. I’m talking about antioxidant vitamins like C, E, etc., used topically on your skin. While taking vitamin pills orally helps your internal organs, applying a good quality antioxidant serum daily under moisturizer will help skin look younger and prevent damage.
- Moisturize according to the season. Live in Hawaii or San Diego? Good for you. Most of us don’t and therefore deal with a major swing in our environment temperature and humidity. This means we need to use a different moisturizer in the middle of summer than we need in the winter. Our clothing needs change… why wouldn’t our skincare need to adjust too?
- See an esthetician for seasonal facials. Esthetician’s are professionals and can get to know YOUR skin and any challenges that come and customize your routine. They are a resource for you to become more educated on healthy skin and what ingredients your skin needs to stay fabulous and glowing!
Written By, Susannah Courteau, Advanced Practice Esthetician and Skin Health Consultant with BREVENA Laboratories. (www.brevena.com)
About Susannah Courteau: Skin Expert and Advanced Practice Esthetician Susannah Courteau is a member of BREVENA Laboratories’, LLC leadership and advisory team. BREVENA is a luxury skin care cosmetics company based in Saint Paul, Minnesota. A Minnesota native who graduated from St. Paul College as a licensed Esthetician in 2004, Susannah specializes in the medical side of esthetics, performing advanced skin treatments for complex conditions including acne, sensitized and irritated skin. Susannah’s extensive training and expertise lead her to become an Advanced Practice Esthetician and Spa Director at Sunbear Salon and Med Spa in White Bear Lake, MN. Susannah has partnered with BREVENA Laboratories as a Skin Health Consultant to further develop the brand’s line of clinical grade skin care products, ensuring the needs of the most sensitive skin types are met. Visit: www.Brevena.com