Let’s Run a Full Time Mary Kay Beauty Business! March 17, 2010
So I have a consultant who’s been with me 8 months, part time consultant, who does not want to go back to her job when her maternity leave ends (she shall remain nameless as I have more than 1 in this situation). She’s searching for another job and I mentioned, “What about running your Mary Kay business to bring in that same income you made with your job?” She asked me how to do that so I looked up some of my old files on time management and organization and here’s what I’ve come up with.
I intend to follow this plan myself, even though I am working 2 days a week at another job. There are 7 days in a week and I have goals I want to accomplish for my family that I am willing to work for. I don’t have to do this forever, but I do have to do it today!
- Attend your unit meeting each week and bring guests. Consider this another time to hold a skin care class so you only need 4 other time slots for classes OR use this as your 6th class for extra income. Bring prospective team members with you so I or one of the Directors can answer their questions and you may have a new team member.
- Get 5 new leads every day from Gift of Friendship referrals at classes, warm chattering, asking for referrals when you do customer service calls, or by doing a business display somewhere. Attend a networking group to meet other business people.
- Get 2 new bookings every day and book them in this week or next.
- Do ___ customer service calls every day and ask each for referrals. This number depends on how many customers you have. At the 1st of the month figure out who is due to be called this month and then spread them out over the month. If you have 20 reorder clients needing to be called this month then you can call 1 each working day. Write them in your calendar on the day you plan to call.
- Hold a skin care class every day (5 each week or 2 on one day and 3 on another, whatever works for your family). Because of last minute emergencies, you will want to have 10 classes on the books each week to insure you have 5 hold. Double book like dentists and doctors do.
- Interview 2 people every day (I suggest doing marketing at the end of every class AFTER individual consultations to save time in trying to get together again).
- Coach your hostesses really well and encourage them to have 5 adults in attendance and make your goal to have over $500 in sales. When you shoot for the moon you land among the stars. 5 classes with even 3 people at each and $300 in sales at each would give you 15 faces and $1500 in sales (not including taxes).
Let’s see what you accomplished in a week.
25 new names to call 10 new bookings 5 skin care classes held 15 faces
10 interviews (on average 1 out of 10 people say yes, so you may have a new team member)
$1500 in class sales (plus whatever reorders you also get)
Money Management: Deposit all money into your Mary Kay account. Use the 60/40 rule. Transfer all taxes collected and 60% of your sales onto your credit card to place a product order.
60% X $1500 = $900 plus taxes to place an order
40% X $1500 = $600 is what you run your business with (supplies, seminar, Preferred Customer Program, inventory loan, postage, etc) and pay yourself
All team building commission is your money to pay yourself or save up to buy something great for you and your family.
I figure all this would take about 35 hours each week. That’s over $17/hour not including team building commissions.
Meeting – 3 hours
New Leads (do while out on business & running errands 1/2 hr daily) – 3 hours
Bookings Calls (1/2 hr daily) – 3 hours
Customer Service Calls (1/2 hr daily) – 3 hours
Hostess Coaching Calls (1/2 hr daily) – 3 hours
Interviews & followup (if separate from classes 1 hr daily) – 5 hours
5 Classes (3 hours each includes travel & marketing) – 15 hours
Remember the longer you do this the higher your reorder sales will be which will increase your income. The more team members you have the higher your commission check will be and you can earn a free car. That would save you a car payment, insurance, and licensing fees.
When you become a Sales Director, all bonuses and commissions increase. Ask me for details.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call or email me. I’d be happy to help you.
519-317-8255 518-768-2401 firstname.lastname@example.org
***I suggest doing a booking blitz and booking 10 classes each week for the first 2 weeks you plan to work full time. That will get your momentum going and set you up for success.